Good afternoon friends. In this article, we will look at 8 methods on how to clear the cache of a Windows 10 computer? Cache – are temporary elements created by the OS to suit its needs. Over time, they become unnecessary and are collected on railway tracks as garbage. If you do not clean it for a long time, it will clutter up all the free memory on your PC. In this article we will look at how you can clear the cache manually, without using cleaning applications, although optimizers are also useful to use, and I talked about them earlier.
1 clear the cache using the command execute
Let’s start cleaning the hard drive with method 1. We will search for elements through the Run utility. Let’s use a few basic functions to see temporary files.
- So, let’s go to the search bar and type “run”;
- A command line will open, where we need to enter the combination % Temp % and click OK;
- A folder appears in which temporary files of various programs are stored, they use this information for various purposes.For example, here applications save something downloaded from the World Wide Web. Some of the elements needed only for a while. These programs almost never clean up after themselves, and this trash is left to the users. If this folder is not cleaned out for a long time, it can grow so large that it clutters up all the free space on the system hard drive;
- The problem can be solved simply. Click Ctrl+A to select the entire page. After that, click on the Shift+Del hotkeys to delete without the trash can. The system will ask us again:Click Yes;
- Most likely, not everything will be deleted, and a window will appear informing you that certain files cannot be deleted. Most likely, they are still used by one of the programs. Click skip.
- Let’s return to the command line execute and simply enter “Temp”;
- We are informed that we do not have permission to access this folder. Click “Continue”;
- This folder contains temporary Windows elements. Let’s remove them in the same way as above.
Again, type the “Run” utility, enter the prefetch combination into it and click OK.If the system asks for access, you must allow it as an administrator.
This is also an access created by the Windows system. Its element to speed up its functionality. In this window he creates his own information, but it is better to remove it.
2 Removing Windows installation elements
- The OS creates them both during installation and when Windows 10 updates. Let’s type “Storage options” in the search bar;
- The railway parameters will open;
- Find the command “Temporary files”;
- Let’s click on it;
- We begin the search for these elements;
- Now the utility has found various temporary elements that it itself created. Look carefully at the window to choose what to delete. The largest item, “Trash,” which contains as much as 5.64GB. Ten constantly accepts updates, downloads them and carries out updates itself. And she leaves the elements that she downloaded to us. There are already 3.91 GB collected, Windows can delete them on its own. But he often forgets about this. As for other sections, they can also be deleted. It is advisable to turn your attention to “downloads”. This is the folder where various elements are downloaded from the network. It can accumulate a decent amount of files, but among them there are often necessary programs. In total, 9.65GB will be deleted. In other words, if I click the “Delete files” button, approximately 10GB of free capacity will be freed up on the system drive.
Now my system partition is cleared to a decent amount of 10 GB!
3 Clear the SoftwareDistribution folder
This folder is also used by the OS to store and update installation files. And, like the top one, it collects those elements that have not been deleted. To access this folder, you must be a PC administrator.
Open “Explorer”, then “This PC”, then “Disk C”. Select the Windows folder. We need to find the SoftwareDistribution folder , it should contain the Download folder . It also contains installation elements that it is advisable to uninstall.
4 Clear the hard drive
- To use the “Disk Cleanup” function, enter “Cleanup” through the search and launch this element;
- We need to select the drive item that we will clean. Let’s click OK. I will clean out partition C;
- After performing the analysis, a window will appear showing what is best to clean on the drive. In principle, we have already cleaned this using other methods, but not all the elements;
- Click “Clean up system files”. To do this, you must be an administrator. Again you need to select section C;
- After this, the list of elements that can be removed from the cache expands. We mark the necessary elements and begin to clean them.
5 Clear the Microsoft Store cache
If you use applications from the store, Windows creates temporary elements during installation. We will look for them now. There may be a problem due to Microsoft Store, in which case clearing the store cache is what will help you.
- In the search bar you need to type cmd and go to the file that appears as an administrator;
- In the command line that appears, write wsreset and press Enter;
- The process happens invisible to the eye, we wait until it ends and the Microsoft store restarts. Which means the end of the process.
6 Clearing the media cache
This is where temporary files are stored for programs that work with media files. Such as Photoshop, or Adobe Premier. Depending on whether you use such programs, this may take up a large amount of memory.
Let’s see how much cache the programs I use to create content for the Computer Genius channel create.
- Going to the “This Computer” folder, drive C;
- Select the “users” folder;
- Next, we need to choose your account name;
- After this, we need to select the AppData folder. This folder is hidden. If it is not visible, you need to allow it to be shown. To do this, select the “View” menu and then “Hide selected elements”;
- We have a new window where we need to put a checkbox above the “Allow to show…” command;
- Better yet, just write the name of this folder in the address at the top;
- After this, we need to go to the “Roaming” folder;
- Find an application that works with media, and if it has a “Coomon” folder and a “Media Ceche” folder in it, then you need to clean it up. My applications are simple and do not use such folders.
7 Delete unnecessary restore points
The recovery utility is constantly looking for new data, and sometimes a decent amount accumulates if the service is not configured. Let’s look at the settings, how to remove these points, and then make new ones.
- In the search bar, enter “recovery” and click on the found item;
- Select the “Configure” button;
- So, I have 11GB allocated for recovery points, this is a decent amount, it can be reduced, for example, to 5GB. Also, to delete installed points, click on the “Delete” button. After that, click “apply” and OK;
- You will see an inscription, we agree:
- After that, click create a new point (it’s better to create 2 points just in case).
8 Clear browser cache
If you actively use the Internet, your browser can also accumulate quite a lot of unnecessary temporary files.
- In the browser we will use the combination Ctrl+H. I will show it in the Yandex browser;
- So, at the bottom left, click “Clear history”;
- In the new window, select all the data except “Autofill forms”; you don’t have to erase the cookies. So, click “Clear”. You can also specify for what period you want to clear. For example, in a day, or a week, by clicking on the black triangle.
Video on how to completely clear the cache in Windows 10?
Conclusion: you now know how to clear your Windows 10 computer cache. If you know another method, please write about it in the comments. Good luck!
Sincerely, Andrey Zimin 09/08/2020